Friday 18 November 2016

Modern Standard Ethiopia / Konga Cooperative






Picked these up in Sainsbury's for £4.50 for 227g, so a little pricey, but I liked the packaging, I am curious to try a new supplier in a supermarket, and I love Ethiopian coffee.

There's no information on the pack regarding the roast, but it looks like some form of medium roast. After a bit of trial and error I found that three and a half spoons of beans ground fine and left to brew for four and a half minutes gave a very satisfactory brew. Good coffee character with a fine balance between roast and acidity. I found the acidity to be subtle and fragrant with citric flower flavours, and the roast to be intriguing rather than aggressive, with hints of chocolate, roast, and coffee. This is pretty much how coffee should be. Intriguing and satisfying.

The Konga Cooperative is in the highly respected Yirgacheffe region of Ethiopia


I will be getting more of this.

Modern Standard were formed in 2015, and have a regular outlet in Sainsbury's. The company is run by Lynsey Harley who was interviewed on a London coffee blog in February 2016.


Score: 8



Ethiopian coffee



No comments:

Post a Comment