Saturday 15 February 2014

Tea and Coffee Emporium Kenya Blue Mountain coffee beans






A few years ago I asked a friend to bring back some Blue Mountain coffee from a holiday he was having in Jamaica. Direct from source, the beans were fresh and genuine. But I wasn't keen. Too light and acidic for my taste. My taste inclines more toward African and Asian grown beans, so the idea of growing Blue Mountain stock in Kenya is quite interesting - if a little daft. This feels more like marketing gimmick - after all, the plant growing in Jamaica is the same plant that grows in Brazil, Ethiopia and India; the only difference is the soil and climate. An Arabica coffee plant growing in Kenya is going to be closer in style to other Arabica plants in Kenya than it is to plants growing in Jamaica, even if the plant was uprooted from Jamaica and replanted in Kenya. The beans will take their character from the local conditions where they are growing.

Funny enough, though, on first attempt at brewing, these Kenyan Blue Mountain beans do taste like Jamaican Blue Mountain - quite light and acidic. I've had these several times now, and they are drinkable, but not to my taste. Very lemony with violets and fruity red wine. Not enough chocolate, coffee and roast for my taste. And not enough body. If I make it strong, I get a caffeine buzz.

I can see that people who like acidic coffee, and who like Blue Mountain would enjoy this, but I prefer apples and these are oranges.


Score: 3



No comments:

Post a Comment