Sunday 10 August 2014

Three Sixty Ethiopia Yirgacheffe








Interesting looking packaging which gives the look and feel of an independent local coffee roaster rather than the global company, UCC, which it is. UCC was founded in Japan in 1933, and is noted for making the world's first canned coffee, "UCC Coffee with Milk", in 1969. It is made clear on the company website that the Three Sixty brand is more about the marketing than the coffee, and is aimed at the customer who is curious about provenance. The coordinates on the packet locate to the town of Yirgacheffe rather than the plantation where the beans were grown, so it is clear that this is a gimmick. Type in Yirgacheffe and you get the same result - indeed, you get a more informative response, as the results come from a wider range of sources which provide more information about Yirgacheffe coffee.

The packet was bought from Waitrose for £4.99, so is more expensive than most other supermarket available coffees, but cheaper than online dealers, especially with regard to Yirgacheffe which tends to carry a premium.

I've not been happy with it. I keep trying it in different strengths, and leaving it to brew for different lengths of time, but I find it too strong and bitter for my palate, with few contrasts. It tends to sit heavy in the mouth with an insistent dark, almost stale, bitterness like instant coffee .There's some acidity, but it's not floral or fruity, just acidic. I have yet to find anything pleasant about this coffee, and now that I find it's not made by an independent as I first thought, but by a global coffee company, which also owns Lyons coffee, I am giving up on finding the subtly and character than I thought I was missing, as it appears it's not been there in the first place.


3/10




Ethiopian coffee



No comments:

Post a Comment