Saturday 9 November 2013

Tesco Everyday Value Roast & Ground Coffee






I like to keep a pack of coffee to fall back on for when I accidentally run out of coffee. These will tend to be cheap coffees that I am not tempted to drink except in the dire emergency of running out of decent coffee. Also, if I don't run out of coffee and the stand by coffee gets old, I can throw it away with no qualms, and replace it with a fresher cheap coffee. As my current standby is reaching the best before date, it's time to throw it away - but before I do, I thought I'd have a drink to see what it is like. After all, there is the possibility it might be a pleasant and drinkable coffee.

There is a Rainforest Alliance Certified stamp on the coffee. But at the same time there is a small statement that up to 70% of the coffee may come from exploited coffee farms. Hmmmm. Somewhat misleading that. I would prefer that all the coffee in a certified packet came from sources where the people are not exploited, and are paid fairly for their work. I don't find it necessary to make poor people suffer needlessly in order for me to have a cup of coffee.

The pack names Tesco's coffee consultant, Fred Verboom. I like that. It's not a measure of quality; however, it is a measure of openness. I like it when a shop or supplier tells me where a product has come from, and who is responsible for it. However, while it tells me that Verboom was consulted about the coffee, it doesn't tell me where the coffee is from, other than "more than one country". I'm not even sure it is all arabica beans.

Anyway. The quality of this coffee is very poor. It has little in the way of attractive flavours, let alone distinct and interesting character. It tastes stale and bitter with a burnt toffee note. Even though it boasts: "Improved blend", it is not a coffee you really want to drink twice. Yes, it will do in an emergency when you have no other coffee available, but it's not something you will want to reach for if you have a choice.

Score: 2


Tesco Logo.svg
Tesco tea and coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment